Depression Counselling in Ryde
Depression is more than a passing mood. When you are depressed you sink into a different feeling about yourself and your world. You may lose your appetite and concentration, feel flat, pessimistic, and only wish to sleep. Or get angry and irritable. It may seem almost impossible that you could ever enjoy life again.
More than a million Australians suffer from depression each year. It is a very common experience, as Our Team of experienced psychologists know well.
We are local psychologists for residents of Ryde, Gladesville, East Ryde, West Ryde, North Ryde, Denistone, Eastwood, Meadowbank, Putney, Hunters Hill, Chatswood, Lane Cove, and surrounding suburbs.
Symptoms of Depression:
- No interest or enjoyment in things you usually like
- Feeling sad, empty, worthless, guilty, negative or hopeless for no obvious reason
- Having difficulty making simple decisions or concentrating
- Reduced energy, bodily aches and pains, tired
- Changes in appetite – weight loss or gain
- Sleep issues, usually sleeping too much or poor quality sleep
- Thoughts about death and/or suicide
Remember, depression is a very treatable illness. The vast majority of depressed people, especially those who access help, do go on to recover and get their energy and positivity back again.
How can Counselling Help?
Counselling can help you find effective strategies to stop the stream of negative thoughts that have begun to take over your mind and life. When working with depression (and anxiety), we use a combination of the below strategies in a way that will match your unique style:
- ACT helps you to observe the negative stream of thoughts in a way that helps you disengage from the negativity and stop believing the negative messages as if they were all facts.
- CBT aims to challenge the negative conclusions you make automatically when you are depressed.
- Mindfulness and relaxation exercises bring your awareness back to the present, to give your body and mind a rest from relentless negativity and worrying.
- Solution Focused Therapy helps you set goals and adopt strategies that will actively dealing with problems.
- Emotion Focused Therapy and Schema Therapy are both effective and powerful ways of understanding emotions and the thought patterns that tend to accompany them.
Call us on 1300 739 531 to make an appointment
- Phones answered Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 8pm, Saturdays 9-4pm
- After-hours appointments available weeknights to 8pm, Saturdays 9am to 4pm.
- Medicare and Private Health rebates can be processed at your session.
- For details on our psychologists, see Our Team.
If depression is robbing you of motivation, joy and interest, let us help. Open Sky Psychology serves people in the local areas of Ryde, Gladesville, Putney, Lane Cove, Meadowbank, Hunters Hill, Top Ryde, East Ryde, West Ryde, North Ryde, Denistone, Drummoyne, Eastwood, Epping, Chatswood, and surrounding suburbs.
Victoria Road buses also make our practice accessible for city workers, see Contact Us. But if Our Team’s areas of specialisation make a good match for your particular needs, we welcome people from anywhere.