Anxiety Counselling in Ryde
Most people have experienced anxiety symptoms at some time, like fearful thoughts, pounding heart, sweaty palms, feeling faint, or an anxious racing mind. It’s natural for our bodies and minds to respond to high stress this way.
But sometimes anxiety doesn’t go away. It might strike us when we are lying awake in bed at night, or wake us with a feeling of dread first thing in the morning. We begin to forget what it was like to feel calm and relaxed.
Regain Control through Anxiety Counselling
Anxiety is a common and treatable illness, so when it starts to undermine your wellbeing, it is time to seek help. Our Team of psychologists can help you with effective strategies to get anxiety symptoms back under control. They will also help you understand better what may be triggering your anxiety.
We serve the local areas of Ryde, Gladesville, East Ryde, West Ryde, Denistone, Eastwood, Meadowbank, Putney, Hunters Hill, Lane Cove, and surrounding suburbs – as well as the CBD via Victoria Road buses. See Contact Us for details.
How Can Counselling Help?
Counselling strategies are similar for anxiety and depression, as they both involve thoughts that seem to have taken over so much that it is hard to feel any other way. We use the following strategies…
- ACT strategies help you to observe the anxious or negative stream of thoughts in a way that helps you disengage from and stop believing those distressing messages as if they were all facts.
- CBT aims to challenge the anxious or negative conclusions you make automatically when you are distressed.
- Mindfulness and relaxation exercises bring your awareness back to the present, to give your body and mind a rest from relentless negativity and worrying.
- Solution Focused Therapy helps you set goals and adopt strategies for actively dealing with problems.
- Emotion Focused Therapy and Schema Therapy are both effective and powerful ways of understanding emotions and the thought patterns that tend to accompany them.
Symptoms of Anxiety:
- Fear. Anxiety is basically fear about being able to handle things.
- Worrying constantly about things like health, work, children, money
- Feeling restless, tired, irritable, muscle pain
- Poor sleep, poor concentration, edgy, nervous
- Shaky, sweaty, short of breath, dizzy, fast heartbeat, hot or cold flushes
- Fear of going mad, fear of dying, especially if having panic attacks
- Feeling a sense of doom, dread or loathing.
- Specific phobias eg. social duties, animals, flying, health anxiety.
Call us on 1300 739 531 to make an appointment
- Phones answered Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 8pm, Saturdays 9-4pm
- After-hours appointments available weeknights to 8pm, Saturdays 9am to 4pm.
- Medicare and Private Health rebates can be processed at your session.
- For details on our psychologists, see Our Team.
If anxiety is robbing you of peace of mind, joy and interest, let us help. Open Sky Psychology serves the local areas of Ryde, Gladesville, Putney, Lane Cove, Meadowbank, Hunters Hill, Top Ryde, East Ryde, West Ryde, North Ryde, Denistone, Drummoyne, Eastwood, Epping, Chatswood, and surrounding suburbs.
Victoria Road buses also make our practice accessible for city workers, see Contact Us. But if Our Team’s areas of specialisation make a good match for your particular needs, we welcome people from anywhere.